[tex-live] etex_man.pdf formatting issue

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri Jan 2 12:07:12 CET 2015

On 02/01/2015 09:15, jfbu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the file
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/doc/etex/base/etex_man.pdf
>
> has (see for example on page 15) numerous TeX-XeT and TeX--XeT
> where systematically the -XeT is bold on screen (tested on mac os x
> with both preview and acrobat reader)
>
> This seems like a bug, probably related to the chain followed
> (which I didn't investigate) to produce the pdf from the source.
> (by laziness I didn't try to locate the source, which is presumably in
> some ascii text markup)
>
> I suspect the -XeT is treated like an option, as for example one sees in
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/doc/man/man1/etex.man1.pdf
>
> where all described options are indeed printed bold. Thus my conjecture
> is that similar tools are used to produce both etex_man.pdf and
> etex.man1.pdf but what is suitable for the second is not 100% ok for the first.
>
> best wishes
>
> Jean-Francois

This is not a 'TeX Live thing': the PDF and sources are provided by the
NTS team. If you read the sources, TeX--XeT is produced by a macro
called \TeXXeT which is defined as

    \def\TeXXeT{\TeX-\revrm{\TeXXeTstate=1\beginR\TeX-\endR}}

with

    \DeclareFontShape{OT1}{cmr}{bxrev}{n}{<-> xbmc10}{}
    \DeclareTextFontCommand{\revrm}
      {\fontseries{bxrev}\fontshape{n}\selectfont}

so it look deliberate.
--
Joseph Wright