[tex-live] etex_man.pdf formatting issue

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Fri Jan 2 15:09:41 CET 2015

Le 2 janv. 2015 à 12:07, Joseph Wright <joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk> a écrit :

> On 02/01/2015 09:15, jfbu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the file
>>
>> /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/doc/etex/base/etex_man.pdf
>>
>> has (see for example on page 15) numerous TeX-XeT and TeX--XeT
>> where systematically the -XeT is bold on screen (tested on mac os x
>> with both preview and acrobat reader)
>>
>> This seems like a bug, probably related to the chain followed
>> (which I didn't investigate) to produce the pdf from the source.
>> (by laziness I didn't try to locate the source, which is presumably in
>> some ascii text markup)
>>
>> I suspect the -XeT is treated like an option, as for example one sees in
>>
>> /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/doc/man/man1/etex.man1.pdf
>>
>> where all described options are indeed printed bold. Thus my conjecture
>> is that similar tools are used to produce both etex_man.pdf and
>> etex.man1.pdf but what is suitable for the second is not 100% ok for the first.
>>
>> best wishes
>>
>> Jean-Francois
>
> This is not a 'TeX Live thing': the PDF and sources are provided by the
> NTS team.

I didn't suspect NTS team still existed at this time and should have checked
before. I imagined the sources were (respectfully ;-) ) treated as some sort
of legacy material by the TeXLive team.

> If you read the sources, TeX--XeT is produced by a macro
> called \TeXXeT which is defined as
>
>    \def\TeXXeT{\TeX-\revrm{\TeXXeTstate=1\beginR\TeX-\endR}}
>
> with
>
>    \DeclareFontShape{OT1}{cmr}{bxrev}{n}{<-> xbmc10}{}
>    \DeclareTextFontCommand{\revrm}
>      {\fontseries{bxrev}\fontshape{n}\selectfont}
>
> so it look deliberate.

You are right of course. I was too lazy and should have checked the source,
my conjecture about a common ascii-text format for both etex_man and
the man page (which would have explained the boldening of things
following an hyphen) seems to have been quite completely misguided.

The visual effect of the bold font for -XeT is strange. Stranger still is that I
noticed it only this morning and got puzzled over it!

Jean-François