[tex-live] dvisvgm can't find libgs

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Tue Apr 15 20:46:31 CEST 2014

 >|    distributions only provide a libgs.so link in their libgs-dev or
 >|    ghostscript-development packages. Is there a good reason for this?
 >|
 >|I am not sure what you're asking, probably because I didn't reread all
 >|those messages.  Sorry.

I was hoping for insight from, say, Norbert, why distributions
put libXX.so links in devel packages. It seems they're only to be
used in building binary packages. Here's what Tim Waugh, a Fedora
developer says about dvisvgm:

  Referencing the library as "libgs.so" is not really correct. It
  isn't the soname of the library ("libgs.so.9" is), and so makes no
  guarantees about any ABI it may provide.

  dvisvgm should really attempt to dlopen("libgs.so.9"), and attempt
  the same for prior sonames it knows the ABI for [if libgs.so.9
  fails, presumably]

I've been encouraging Martin to "try harder" in dvisvgm because
asking users to install a devel package or figure out where the
library is and use an option or set an environment variable is a
little unrealistic.  I agree that there's not much that can be done
building the texlive binary itself.

Bob T.