[tex-live] dvisvgm can't find libgs

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Apr 15 21:29:55 CEST 2014

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014, Bob Tennent wrote:
> I was hoping for insight from, say, Norbert, why distributions
> put libXX.so links in devel packages. It seems they're only to be

It basically boils down to ABI compatibility. Nobody needes the
.so file, the linker has to use the .so.N file to ensure ABI
compatibility. Think about that: do you want to link/load
	libc.so.5 versus libc.so.6
these are *huge* differences.

And in fact, what programs should do is dlload .so.N files,
otherwise they are not sure that it will work properly.

But this is all my understanding and might be wrong.

Norbert