[tex-live] TeX capacity exceeded

Bernhard Kleine bernhard.kleine at gmx.net
Tue Dec 6 13:03:49 CET 2011

Am Dienstag, den 06.12.2011, 11:19 +0100 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
> 2011/12/6 Bernhard Kleine <bernhard.kleine at gmx.net>:
> > I got stuck with the above error. I have 16 chapters all \included into
> > the main document. Any chapter by itself with the frontmatter and the
> > backmatter compiles well, the file where PDFLaTeX gets stuck compiles
> > well by itself. I am thus convinced that I really have a memory problem
> > and not missing braces.
> > Years ago usings tetex I could enhance memory by changing in texmf.d
> > individual counters and generate format files. Since I changed to
> > texlive and etex in 2007, there has been no further need to manipulate
> > these conf-files.
> >
> > Where and how do I provide more memory for PDFLaTeX in texlive 2011.
> >
> > (I have /etc/temxmf/texmf.d conf-files under ubuntu 11.10 but these I
> > guess belong to the texlive2009 files still necessary on ubuntu.)
> >
> Have you examined the source of the error? Unless you load a lot of
> complex packages or use complex pictures in TikZ and similar material,
> LaTeX should have enough space for a few thousand chapters. This error
> is often caused by omitted brace. Unfortunatelly \newcommand is
> \long\def which means that omitted braces are not detected by TeX. It
> is better to use the star form \newcommand*\macroname whenever the
> argument should be short and not extending through a few paragraphs. I
> such a case TeX will complain that the end of paragraph was
> encountered if you omit the right brace.
> >

I analysed the problem a little further. PDFlatex chokes at a TIKZ
picture but only when there is much more stuff than the picture itself.

With an incomplete chap7.aux file, there is one entire compilation, the
stop occurs at the second compilation run. 

when I include

a: chap4, chap5, chap6, chap7, chap8: compilation stops in chap7 

b: chap5, chap6, chap7, chap8: compilation is well. 

The error is:

        ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=3000000].
        \Hy at FixNotFirstPage ... {\copy \AtBeginShipoutBox 
        \AtBegShi at Item #1->\ifAtBegShi at Discarded \else #1
        \ifAtBegShi at Discarded \else...
        \AtBegShi at Output ...Discardedfalse \AtBegShi at Hook 
        \gdef \expand...
        <to be read again> \@EveryShipout at Output 
        \set at typeset@protect 
        \@outputpage ...width {\@thefoot }\color at endbox }}
                                                          \global \let
        \if at newlist \...
        \@opcol ...lumn \@outputdblcol \else \@outputpage 
                                                          \fi \global
        \@mparbottom \...
        <output> ...specialoutput \else \@makecol \@opcol 
        \@whilesw \i...
        If you really absolutely need more capacity,
        you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.
        Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
         55468 strings out of 493629
         1238307 string characters out of 3140835
         3000000 words of memory out of 3000000
         55450 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+200000
         134243 words of font info for 281 fonts, out of 3000000 for
         831 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
         96i,49n,133p,3277b,3428s stack positions out of
        !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Obviously the point where it stops is correct, otherwise the b: solution
would not compile. And I have a lot of complicated packages. 

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
URL: <http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/attachments/20111206/c473fa4e/attachment.bin>

More information about the tex-live mailing list