[tex-live] TeX capacity exceeded

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 11:19:23 CET 2011

2011/12/6 Bernhard Kleine <bernhard.kleine at gmx.net>:
> I got stuck with the above error. I have 16 chapters all \included into
> the main document. Any chapter by itself with the frontmatter and the
> backmatter compiles well, the file where PDFLaTeX gets stuck compiles
> well by itself. I am thus convinced that I really have a memory problem
> and not missing braces.
> Years ago usings tetex I could enhance memory by changing in texmf.d
> individual counters and generate format files. Since I changed to
> texlive and etex in 2007, there has been no further need to manipulate
> these conf-files.
>
> Where and how do I provide more memory for PDFLaTeX in texlive 2011.
>
> (I have /etc/temxmf/texmf.d conf-files under ubuntu 11.10 but these I
> guess belong to the texlive2009 files still necessary on ubuntu.)

Have you examined the source of the error? Unless you load a lot of
complex packages or use complex pictures in TikZ and similar material,
LaTeX should have enough space for a few thousand chapters. This error
is often caused by omitted brace. Unfortunatelly \newcommand is
\long\def which means that omitted braces are not detected by TeX. It
is better to use the star form \newcommand*\macroname whenever the
argument should be short and not extending through a few paragraphs. I
such a case TeX will complain that the end of paragraph was
encountered if you omit the right brace.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/