[tex-live] Translation of tlmgr gui

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 03:58:37 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:12:46 +0100, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Vladimir Lomov a écrit :
>> I think it is worth to gather all repository related entries in one:
>> for now there are entries in File and in 'Options->General...'.
>> May be collect them under 'Options->Repository' entry?

>> Pros: all repository related things in one place.
>> Cons: the action 'Load repository' should be easily and quickly accessable
>> but then it will be buried under 'Options->Repository->Load ...
>> repository'.

> This is a no-go for me. Loading a repository is the most frequent action you'll
> want to do with tlmgr. I must be accessible. Besides, it is an action, putting
> it in "options" sounds very counter-intuitive for me.
I thought about this too. Then may be you try again and return to tab-based
gui. For me the GUIv2 looks unintuitive: in 'File' there are 'Load'
actions, on main screen (I like this very much) package manager.

I think about two or three tabbed window:
the first tab 'General' or 'Options' (English is not my native language, sorry)
shown by default has following standard actions:
  Load repository
  Change repository

  Update filename database
  Rebuild all formats

  Quit

Next tab 'Package' will have the same content as GUIv2 have (I
mean main screen) now.

Third tab 'Advanced' or similar could have several buttons which will
call apropriate actions (Paper,...), i.e. reorganize actions and items
currently spreaded in Options, Actions (menu in GUIv2).

I understand that this is raw idea but if you will be interested in this
idea it will be improved.

P.S. This is like in MiKTeX Options.

--
Is not that the nature of men and women -- that the pleasure is in the
learning of each other?