[tex-live] TL 2009 not installing URW Garamond ?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 12 14:00:19 CEST 2009

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> > sigh.  strangely enough, we didn't search every file on ctan (cs. 12k of
> > them) when we did away with the nonfree tree.
> >
> > mind you, i'm not sure the urw fonts ever were on nonfree (and i'm not
> > about to search the transaction history to find out).
>
> OK, but it was a serious question : how is one supposed to know
> that CTAN (in its infinite wisdom) has classified URW Garamond
> as non-free ?  If, for example, I visit the TeX Catalogue and
> search for Garamond, I find it included in the Free_Math_Font_Survey.
> Furthermore, if I follow the link to Licences and then back
> to the Sarovar version of the Catalogue, and use the
> A-Z Index to find URW Garamond, I read
>
> "This bundle provides a set of Adobe Type-1 fonts which URW has made
> available for free under the Aladdin Free Public License:"
>
> So where /is/ the information that CTAN has classified URW Garamond
> as "non-free", and given the above quotation, on what basis was
> this decision made ?

the catalogue entry urw-garamond:

http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/urw-garamond.html

does indeed say "for free", and i guess i need to change that
(throughout) to "at no cost" (either is true, but "free" is an
overloaded word, best avoided in this context).

the actual licence (just below of the box) is "nocommercial".  this is
quite enough to prevent tex live from using it.

ps, don't rely on sarovar: we don't have any automatic means of updating
it, so it only gets done when someone -- typically rainer -- has spare
time.