[tex-live] merging texmf-doc into texmf-dist

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 17 20:33:36 CET 2009

Last year, Heiko and others proposed merging texmf-doc back into
texmf-dist, eliminating one top-level tree for people and programs to
look at.  teTeX never used texmf-doc.

The original reason to have texmf-doc (Fabrice created it), as I
understand it, was to be able to easily access documentation by language.
Although one might hope that texdoc or other tools could offer that, the
reality is that they don't; maybe someday, but it's not simple to do.

I don't have strong feelings about the merge myself.  But if we're going
to change it, the time to do it will be when we start preparing the 2009
release, i.e., soon.

Can we reach a consensus, one way or another?