[tex-live] Post-install problems (Solaris)

Jean-Pierre Chretien chretien at cert.fr
Mon Sep 22 08:36:09 CEST 2008

>>Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 16:49:49 +0200
>>To: Jean-Pierre Chretien <chretien at cert.fr>
>>Cc: tex-live at tug.org
>>Subject: Re: [tex-live] Post-install problems (Solaris)
>>From: Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>
>>
>>On Fr, 19 Sep 2008, Jean-Pierre Chretien wrote:
>>>  - texconfig-sys fails, due to missing whiptail binary; whiptail
>>>  seems widely available on Linux, but I couldn't find sources
>>>  to install it on Solaris; I used the batch syntax to configure;
>>
>>Strange, the texconfig I see here does NOT use whiptail in any way, I
>>grepped for it in texconfig itself and texmf/texconfig/*.
>>
>>Can you send us the output of a failed run,please.

Hera are the symptoms:
# texconfig-sys results in the message
<log_message>
The interactive texconfig utility will be started now. Make sure
your screen has at least 24 rows and 80 columns. If texconfig
crashes now, you can still set up your teTeX system using the
batch mode of texconfig.  Try 'texconfig help' to get a list
of options.

The interactive mode works best with a real vt100 terminal or
inside an xterm window.
</log_message>

Then return closes the application and goes back to prompt.

whiptail seems to be in texconfig-dialog
# grep whiptail `which texconfig-dialog`
    for bin in whiptail dialog
#

If I run texconfig with the /bin/sh -x modifier set in texconfig and
texconfig-dialog, I can see that the PATH is explored for whiptail without
success.

>>>  - to add local fonts xxx imported in texmf-local, I used to add Map xxx.map
>>>  in updmap.cfg file. Now TL recommends to put all locally added fonts in
>>>  /some/file.cfg and to run command
>>>  tlmgr generate updmap -local /some/file.cfg
>>>  All I get is that -local is not a valid option.
>>>  tlgr --help is almost unreadable on Solaris.
>>
>>WHy is it unreadable? That is a pod2man thing of normal perl. Does
>>solaris not have a decent perl? (Guess I have to ask my personal friend
>>Jäörg Schilling ;-)))

I don't understand what happened, formatting is all right now, sorry for
the noise.
[...].

>>Short explanation: Either USE
>>	updmap(-sys) --enable Map xxx.map
>>so that it will be enabled, or add it to
>>	TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/updmap-local.cfg
>>and call
>>	tlmgr generate updmap

I was misleaded by the first lines of texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg:

# Generated by /home/texlive/karl/Master/bin/i386-linux/tlmgr on Thu Jul 24
03:35:59 2008
# $Id: updmap-hdr.cfg 9153 2008-07-02 13:27:34Z karl $
# updmap.cfg is itself generated by concatenating updmap-hdr.cfg with
# all the Map and MixedMap lines from an installation.  You can use
# tlmgr generate updmap -local /some/file.cfg to make local additions.
#

The last line should be edited to reflect your explanations
(which are clearly stated in tlmgr --help, now I can read it).

Thank you for your quick reply.

Regards

--
Jean-Pierre