[tex-live] Installing TeXLive2008 on Cygwin

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Aug 30 16:52:40 CEST 2008

    How to regenerate tlpdb?

In this case, I'm not exactly sure.  Did you do the other steps?  Once
you do, does install-tl find i386-cygwin now?  If not, maybe simply
editing texlive.tlpdb and adding i386-cygwin to the list of
available_architectures in the 00texlive-installation.config package
would be enough.  That's what I'd try first, anyway.

    So, should I copy also 'lib' and 'include'? YES/NO?

You should completely ignore everything that gets installed by make
install *except* the actual binaries.  Everything else is in the texmf
tree(s) already.  (I wrote this on build.html and in various README.)

    The trick could be to rename 'i686-pc-cygwin' into 'i386-cygwin'
    but a more elegant solution is welcomed!

I already gave you the code references to where we map the config.guess
platform name to the TL platform name.

If you don't feel like making that change, then heck, maybe it would
work to copy the binaries to bin/i686-pc-cygwin.  I have no idea.

I am still not clear whether you are trying to get this to work just for
yourself, or for the Cygwin port of TeX (Live), or for re-inclusion back
into the original TeX Live distribution, or some combination.  What is
the context?

karl