[tex-live] Installing TeXLive2008 on Cygwin

Angelo Graziosi angelo.graziosi at alice.it
Thu Aug 28 11:11:12 CEST 2008

Karl Berry ha scritto:
>     1) I note that 'lib', 'texinfo' and 'include' do not show up in the ISO;
>     so, can one avoid to install them?
>
> configure --without-texinfo for texinfo.  For the others: no, I don't
> think they can be reasonably avoided.  Just ignore them.

This is not clear: "no, I don't think they can be reasonably avoided"
seems the contrary of "Just ignore them".

So, should I copy also 'lib' and 'include'? YES/NO?

>     In the postinstall phase, 'install-tl' does not use the binaries just
>     installed but those which are in the PATH;
>
> We do take steps to use the new binaries, otherwise installation would
> completely fail.  Apparently what we do does not suffice on Cygwin.  It
> is this (install-tl line 982 at present):
>
>   $ENV{'PATH'}="$plat_bindir" . "$pathsep" . "$ENV{'PATH'}";
>
> You're going to have to tell us what needs to be done on Cygwin.

I think here the problems is the following.

When building (./Build --without-xetex), configure says that the system
is 'i686-pc-cygwin', and this is the right answer. Many files in Cygwin
distribution live under 'somedir/i686-pc-cygwin' and also my builds of
GCC, Emacs etc. confirm that.

Instead 'install-tl' says that the system is i386-cygwin (and, if you
remember, I need the link 'lzmadec.i386-cygwin -> /usr/bin/lzma.exe').

I have tried to figure out the cause but hadn't success, so you need a
more expert people.

The trick could be to rename 'i686-pc-cygwin' into 'i386-cygwin'
but a more elegant solution is welcomed!

    Angelo