[tex-live] ??? cannot be found in...

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 24 10:27:07 CEST 2008

Rolf Niepraschk <Rolf.Niepraschk at gmx.de> wrote:

> Karl Berry schrieb:
> >     chemscheme cannot be found in
> >     http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> >
> > As Robin implied, it seems you got an old tlpdb somehow.  Those packages
> > have not existed for quite a while, so it's correct that the mirror does
> > not have them.
> >
> > What's useful information in failed download reports is the actual
> > mirror that was used; "mirror.ctan.org" multiplexes among all
> > (supposedly) up-to-date mirrors, so it doesn't tell us anything about
> > which host might actually have the stale data.  tlmgr should tell you
> > what individually mirror actually got chosen, I think/hope ...
>
> "tlmgr" doesn't show me any information about the real server. If I put
> the URL
>
>   http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
>
> in my web browser I see
>
>   http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/
>
> A next try with this server has the same problematic result
>
> tlmgr --location \
>   http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008  update \
>   --all -v
> [produces the same erroneous results]

the server itself has an up-to-date texlive.tlpdb (in the sense that
it's identical to that on cam.ctan.org, which is the primary ctan mirror
for tex live -- all other ctan copies come through my machine).

so for some reason, your copy of tlmgr is refusing to update that file
(which doesn't specify all the packages you're having trouble with ...
and does, of course, specify other packages which have been created
since your old version of the file was downloaded).

can you locate your copy of texlive.tlpdb (or its lzma, preferably both
actually) and post directory details of it, to confirm the current
favoured diagnosis of your problems, please?

robin