[tex-live] Texlive native OpenBSD port

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 14:01:40 CEST 2007

Hi there,

On 4/21/07, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>     old Makefile.in methods rather than Makefile.am -> Makefile.in.
>
> Well, just Makefile.in per se is not "old", it just means the package
> uses autoconf instead of automake+autoconf.  As I'm sure you know.

Correct.

>     This means that DESTDIR is not respected,
>
> I'm not surprised, since DESTDIR was invented many years after I wrote
> the original autoconfery for Web2c and friends.  Lacking global build
> system updates, the workaround we use is to install everything into a
> temp dir using --prefix and --datadir, as in the source/Build script.

Yes this method works well, but I thought I would bite the bullet.

>     I have a big wad of patches (39 to date) to fix this. I wil send
>     these upstream to you once I have finished porting
>
> Great, but be aware that in many cases, texlive is not the source.  It
> would be very helpful if you could send patches to the real upstream
> maintainer where necessary.

Ah. I was unaware that these sources were outsourced. How difficult is
it going to be to find all these projects?

>     Im just doing texmf now).
>
> I'm not sure what you have in mind.  There aren't any binaries anywhere
> else.

Im aware of this. Everything that is to be installed in a packge must
be installed into a "fake environment" for pacaking list generation.
I've never done this for something that is not built before, so its
taking me a while.

>     so I have just tacked ${DESTDIR} onto the make install stages of
>     each subsystem.
>
> Sure, that sounds fine.
>
>     pdflatex and latex binaries (and others im sure) were not built. Is
>     this because they depend upon the texmf tree?
>
> No, it's because they aren't binaries.  They are just symlinks to one of
> the few real binaries -- the two you mention, and many more, are
> symlinks to "pdftex".
>
> They might only be created with "make world" rather than "make
> install".  I can't remember for sure right now.

Thanks very much for your co-operation.
Speak Soon

--
Best Regards