[tex-live] catalogue.tpm?

Juergen Fenn juergen.fenn at GMX.DE
Tue Apr 10 00:28:31 CEST 2007

Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> writes:

>> I removed catalogue.tpm from scheme-tetex.  If it ever turns out that
>> it's useful to include the catalogue, I'll reinstate it, of course.
>
> Well, personally I like to have the catalogue available on disk for
> offline use.  But I don't know whether this is a reason for including it
> in TeXLive - after all, I personally have got a copy of the catalogue
> sources on disk, anyway, and could easily create the html locally...

Well, a note from someone sitting behind an analog modem: I download
the complete TeX Catalogue twice a year using ncftp. IIRC this takes
about 45 minutes. So you can do it even with an analogue dial-up
connection if you really need it. ;-) However, if you have a look at
the amount of documentation that ships with all TeX distributions I
wonder if *not* including the HTML version of the TeX Catalogue really
is such a big gain... (1) it can be updated automagically in the TL
repository, can't it? (2) it is an excellent starting point for users
struggling with the vast amount of LaTeX packages.

Jürgen.