[tex-live] Proposal for collection reorganization

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jun 4 13:32:11 CEST 2006

Norbert Preining wrote:
> We would like to propose some changes to the collections.
I can't tell you how happy it makes me to see
this  being reviewed.
> * charter
> 	move charter from fonts-extra to fonts-recommended
>
> 	Reason: PSNFSS asks for these fonts

this is a bit puzzling. why does it need charter?

the changes look good to me
> * collection-chemistry => collection-science

good!
> * various publishers and thesis styles

good!
> * Remove collection-pdfetex and move all the files into latex-base or
>   latexrecommended?
>
> What do we need the collection-pdfetex for? It does *not* contain the
> pdfetex binary, but only pdf related stuff:
>   cmap -- Make PDF files searchable and copyable.
>   etex -- An extended version of TeX, from the NTS project.
>   ifmslide -- Presentation slides for screen and printouts.
>   pdf-trans -- Transformations of TeX boxes for pdfTeX.
>   pdfcprot -- Activating and setting of character protruding using pdflatex.
>   pdfpages -- Include PDF documents in LaTeX.
>   pdfscreen -- Support screen-based document design.
>   pdfslide -- Presentation slides using pdftex.
>   pdftexdef -- The pdftexdef package.
>   pdftricks -- Support for pstricks  in pdftex.
>   pdfwin -- Customizable windows for screen output.
>   xbmc -- Skeleton package.
>   bin-pdftools -- Support tools for PDF files.
>   bin-thumbpdf -- Thumbnails for pdfTeX and dvips/ps2pdf.
>   eso-pic -- Add picture commands (or backgrounds) to every page.

I think I'd put ifmslide, pdfslide and pdfscreen in latex-extra these
days. and surely pdftricks belongs with pstricks?

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk