[tug-pub] presentation of "reading materials" on the web pages

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 19:15:00 +0100 (BST)

Arthur Ogawa writes:

 > I suggest that Sebastian might want to consider putting parts of
 > TeX Live on CTAN, like the documentation, because allowing people
 > access to documentation does help sales.
 >
 > However, I think CTAN is the better choice as a server for such information.

when you say "documentation", you mean the TeX Live documentation?
sure, anyone can put it anywhere they like.

the phrase "allowing people access to documentation" implies that
anything on TeX Live is protected in some way. it isnt! its all open,
anyone can copy it anywhere (following authors licenses, as
usual). I should state somewhere publicly that the documentation is
public domain (hoping that those who helped write it don't
object). Mind you, the source isn't currently available anywhere,
because its a bit of a mess

sebastian