[pdftex] pdfetex can't find map files

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Dec 9 23:28:18 CET 2004

John Culleton wrote:

 >> However, I am finding that pdfetex can't read any of the font map files
 >> installed by ConTeXt. The error messages in the log look like this:
 >>
 >>   Warning: pdfetex (file original-public-vnr.map): \
 >>       cannot open font map file
 >

 > First, what platform are you using?

Linux. Arch Linux 0.7, with teTeX 2.02, to be exact. I did mention that
in my original message, but it was near the bottom.

 > Second have you checked to make sure you don't have a permission problem?

Yes. The files are world-readable. That should work, shouldn't it?

BTW, I've tried installing the map files in a couple of different
locations. At first I installed them (logged into my normal user
account) under /usr/local/share/texmf. Since I have had problems in the
past with pdftex not finding resources in $TEXMFLOCAL, I moved the whole
ConTeXt installation (including the problem map files) under
/usr/share/texmf. Identical errors either way.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA