[texhax] Please help

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Jan 5 00:57:30 CET 2008

On  4 Jan, 2008, at 11:05, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

> 1) Someone sent me a Latex source file containing a text with
> mathematical equations. That provided motivation for becoming familiar
> with reading tex files, and possibly start creating and typesetting my
> own. I have zero experience with this, except reading some tutorials
> found by Google.

I suggest you to download Prof. Grätzer's Short Course (the free
first part of his ``More Math into LaTeX'', 4th ed.) in

> 2) I have an emac computer with the Mac OS-10.3.9 This morning I
> downloaded and installed TexShop, version 2.14. [...] Then I
> pressed the TYPEST button, expecting to see
> the equations in the output window.
> 3) But produced the following error message:
> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex does not
> exist.

Did you install the whole MacTeX package or just TeXShop? See

If you installed MacTeX, the path to binaries in TeXShop ->
Preferences -> Engine should be

In Terminal.app you can type

which latex

hit return, and if TeX & Friends are installed you should get

I advise you to join the TeX on Mac OS X mailing list: