[texhax] Please help

Ludwik Kowalski kowalskil at mail.montclair.edu
Fri Jan 4 18:05:24 CET 2008

1) Someone sent me a Latex source file containing a text with
mathematical equations. That provided motivation for becoming familiar
with reading tex files, and possibly start creating and typesetting my
own. I have zero experience with this, except reading some tutorials
found by Google.

2) I have an emac computer with the Mac OS-10.3.9 This morning I
downloaded and installed TexShop, version 2.14. It is supposed to work
with OS-10.3. All went smoothly; the TexShop application icon is on my
dock. I opened the application and pasted into it's window a short tex
file with equations. Then I pressed the TYPEST button, expecting to see
the equations in the output window.

3) But produced the following error message:

/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex does not
exist. Perhaps teTeX was not installed or was removed during a system
upgrade. If so, go to the TeXShop web site and follow the instructions
to (re)install teTeX. Another possibility is that a tool path is
incorrectly configured in TeXShop preferences. This can happen if you
are using the fink teTeX distribution.

4) What should I do to succeed? I am a very unsophisticated Mac user;
please be as specific as you can. Ideally, I would prefer to be guided
during a telephone conversation. If this is possible I would be happy
to call you, if the telephone number is provided in the reply to this
message.

Thanks in advance.
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired teacher