[texhax] How to change the Hyphenation for a dictionary in TeX

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Mon Jul 19 10:42:18 CEST 2004

> I have a word breacking dictionary, some of its words
> are given below having hyphen in the place where the
> word may break if required. I have tried to change the
> hyphenation pattern from default US hyphenation to UK
> hyphenation, but it is still not the same which I
> need.
>
> Some of the words from Dictionary:

> aard-vark
> aard-wolf
> aba-cus
> aba-lone

> baba-coote
> ba-bassu
> bab-bitt
> bab-bittry
> ba-bi-russa
> bab-bler
> bab-bling
>
> What penalty should I fix to get proper hyphenation?

You can't do anything by changing penalties as such.

> Is there any document having detail about complete
> hyphenation process of a Dictionary.

If there aren't too may words that come out incorrectly you can try putting
something like the following in your preamble:

\hyphenation{baba-coote ba-bassu bab-bitt bab-bittry ba-bi-russa bab-bler
bab-bling}

One question though: how are you changng the hyphenation pattern from US to
UK?  This should normally be done with

\usepackage[UKenglish]{babel}, or perhaps \usepackage[british]{babel}

However, it needs the hyphenation patterns to be load in your version of
LaTeX - with MiKTeX you need to open the Options Wizard, select the
Languages tab and check ukenglish then got to the General tab and run Update
Now for the Format Files.

You will still need the \hyphenation command to deal with exceptions.

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe