[tex-live] tl17 pretest init

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Apr 22 15:42:10 CEST 2017

Hi Philip.

> OK, modulo the bindings to the non-GUI installer, all the rest of the infrastructure is now in place with one key exception :  I need to populate the Installation collections window.

Simply list all the packages of the tlpdb named "collection-..."

> I could obviously do this by hand, but somewhere in TeX Live there must be a file

Yes, it is called texlive.tlpdb and contains all information you need.,

> OK, so I go from (e.g.,) "name scheme-full", ...

I think I have explained this in several talks and articles in TUGboat.
But for you I do it again:
There are three levels of packages in TeX Live:
* normal packages (practically everying) indicated by the tlpdb
  key/value
  	category Package
* collections (indicated by the package name "collection-???" *and*
  by the tlpdb key/value
  	category Collection
* schemes (indicated by the package name "scheme-???" *and*
  by the tlpdb key/value
  	category scheme

"Schemes" are overlapping collections of TeX Live packages. They can
depend on "collections" and "packages".

"Collections" are non-overlapping collections of TeX Live packages,
they can depend on other "collections" and "packages", but it is
guaranteed that the same package is *not* included in two different
"collections".

(Note that I put quotes on purpose to distinguish between the
defined concepts in TeX Live, and general mathematical concepts)

That should give you most of the necessary information (besides the
rest of the tlpdb, like executes ...)

Enjoy

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer