[tex-live] tl17 pretest init

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Apr 20 10:00:36 CEST 2017

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> [...] don't have, and with which I am completely unfamiliar) in order to find the sources.
> No. You can browse the sources online.
Thank you.  I now realise that when it says "Use GIT or SVN ...", it is not in fact necessary to use either (explicitly, at least); the entire source directory can be downloaded as a ZIP file, but the expanded results are horrendous (dozens, if not hundreds, of individual files).  Are C programs always like this, or can one write a single-source C program of equivalent complexity expressed as a single file containing multiple procedures ?  (You will gather from this question, if it was not already obvious, that I have no knowledge of C whatsoever).

> Well, yes. In order to write a program one also has to be familiar
> with at least one (suitable) programming language, I guess. You have
> tons of options, there's no need to know the lowest level command.
> There's Qt, wxWidgets, Tcl, Gtk, ATL, WTL, MFC, .Net, Visual Basic,
> Delphi, the suitable bindings in almost any scripting language, ...
> the list goes on and on.
> If talking about a webpage, you could use CEF (Chromium Embeded
> Framework) and get full access to the system. It wouldn't give you the
> native look and feel though unless you try really hard with the CSS.
> But then you need to know all of it: C++, HTML, CSS, JS, build tools
> like CMake, ...
Zdeněk's "Electron" would seem to be an alternative to this, and one that requires only a knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript, with all of which I am extremely familiar.  I shall investigate Electron, I think.  But I still need to know how one learns of Norbert's "new bindings", or even the old ones; where are they to be found, and where are they documented ?

** Phil.