[tex-live] tl17 pretest init

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 10:09:46 CEST 2017

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > [...] don't have, and with which I am completely unfamiliar) in order to
> find the sources.
> > No. You can browse the sources online.
> Thank you.  I now realise that when it says "Use GIT or SVN ...", it is
> not in fact necessary to use either (explicitly, at least); the entire
> source directory can be downloaded as a ZIP file, but the expanded results
> are horrendous (dozens, if not hundreds, of individual files).  Are C
> programs always like this, or can one write a single-source C program of
> equivalent complexity expressed as a single file containing multiple
> procedures ?  (You will gather from this question, if it was not already
> obvious, that I have no knowledge of C whatsoever).

It is similar to writing a book in TeX. You can put each chapter in a
separate file and use \input to include them in the main file or you can
put everything in a single file. It is the same in C/C++. When writing a
larger program I prefer splitting the code into several files.

Tools as git or svn help you to keep the history. I do it even when working
on a TeX document and it helps me to collaborate with colleagues. We use
LaTeX even for writing grant proposals. Of course, you can work without
versioning.

> > Well, yes. In order to write a program one also has to be familiar
> > with at least one (suitable) programming language, I guess. You have
> > tons of options, there's no need to know the lowest level command.
> > There's Qt, wxWidgets, Tcl, Gtk, ATL, WTL, MFC, .Net, Visual Basic,
> > Delphi, the suitable bindings in almost any scripting language, ...
> > the list goes on and on.
> > If talking about a webpage, you could use CEF (Chromium Embeded
> > Framework) and get full access to the system. It wouldn't give you the
> > native look and feel though unless you try really hard with the CSS.
> > But then you need to know all of it: C++, HTML, CSS, JS, build tools
> > like CMake, ...
> Zdeněk's "Electron" would seem to be an alternative to this, and one that
> requires only a knowledge of HTML, CSS and JavaScript, with all of which I
> am extremely familiar.  I shall investigate Electron, I think.  But I still
> need to know how one learns of Norbert's "new bindings", or even the old
> ones; where are they to be found, and where are they documented ?
>
> ** Phil.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz