[tex-live] Default installation violates filesystem hierarchy standards

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Sep 28 17:45:38 CEST 2015

Hi Nelson,

On Mon, 28 Sep 2015, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> Actually, there are several that do so, and that is why we made a

Interesting. The FAQ you are linking to mentions some BSD Unix flavors.
Can you be more specific? I *really* thought that all packaging
systems install *vendor* packages inot / or /usr, but not /usr/local.
That would be really brain damaged for a packaging system to
install vendor packages into /usr/local ...

> for a discussion.  The regrettable practice of GNU compilers

Hmm, I don't agree completely that this is regrettable, actually
I use it regularly to override system/vendor libraries with
newer/different versions.

But that is off topic anyway.

> /usr/local/texlive/YYYY (in our case, YYYY = 2003, 2004, ....).  That
> [...] not interfere [....]
> the BSD world that install packages under /usr/local.

That is good to hear!

> So, let's keep /usr/local/texlive/YYYY as the default in Unix flavors;
> it can be trivially changed at install time by any user who wants a
> different choice (and it can even be moved somewhere else after
> installation, thanks to relative path addressing in TeXware).

+1

All the best

Norbert