[tex-live] Default installation violates filesystem hierarchy standards

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 22:37:17 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Nelson,
>
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2015, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
>> Actually, there are several that do so, and that is why we made a
>
> Interesting. The FAQ you are linking to mentions some BSD Unix flavors.
> Can you be more specific? I *really* thought that all packaging
> systems install *vendor* packages inot / or /usr, but not /usr/local.
> That would be really brain damaged for a packaging system to
> install vendor packages into /usr/local ...

It's debatable whether Homebrew counts as "vendor" or not (it
certainly is a package manager), but it installs packages to
/usr/local:

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/share/doc/homebrew/FAQ.md

On-topic: maybe /opt is more appropriate nowadays (or would be if a
new decision would have to be met now), but I do not see a strong
enough reason to change the defaults now.

Mojca