[pstricks] pst-geo

Alan Ristow ristow at ece.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 15 17:17:39 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:44:04 +0200, Herbert Voss
<Herbert.Voss at alumni.TU-Berlin.DE> wrote:

>Alan Ristow wrote:
>
>> That did the trick. I misunderstood what the data files were for,
>> thinking that they were something required for pst-geo to work rather
>> than for the output file to work. As a result, I put them in the wrong
>> place. All is well now.
>>
>> So I guess if I wish to distribute a stand-alone document containing
>> pst-geo maps I should convert it to pdf first? Or perhaps I should just
>> read the documentation first (fortunately, I can read French)....
>
>yes, a pdf is the best way. But pay attention, a 50MByte file
>is no problem here when you choose the big data base.
>Sometimes it is better to make a snapshot and save it as
>a png file. The option level=<number> is also important. E.g.
>level=10 takes only every 10th record from the data base.

Thanks for the tip. The docs were smaller than I feared they would be
once I converted them to pdf, but I'll keep an eye on it if I use
pst-geo for any of my own projects. In the meantime, I should point out
that the .tex versions of the docs using the larger database have the
wrong directory in the path name -- they point to the data folder
instead of the dataII folder. After changing that I've got everything
working just fine now. Thanks for your help!

Alan