[pdftex] Directory Names with Spaces

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Thu Dec 20 13:43:23 CET 2001

From: Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fsci.fuk.kindai.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: [pdftex] Directory Names with Spaces

> From: Jeffrey McArthur <jeffmcarthur at home.com>
> Subject: [pdftex] Directory Names with Spaces
>
> > Windows allows directory names with spaces, in particular "\Program Files".
> > My question is this, how do I run PDF with a fully qualified file name.  For
> > example:
> >
> > pdftex "c:/program files/local files/hello.tex"
>
> pdftex c:/progra\string~1/localf\string~1/hello.tex

The above is a solution by the old short names. A number '1'
may be a different one.
Unix system also allows almost all characters including
spaces as file names, but we do not use them as names,
because spaces are delimiters of command line arguments.
You had better not to use spaces for directory or
file names, if possible, at least for TeX related names.
--
Akira Kakuto