[math-font-discuss] upright lowercase greek letters

Ari Stern ari at caltech.edu
Thu Jul 31 18:39:30 CEST 2008

There may be better options out there, but I really like the
Fourier-GUTenberg font package (fourier.sty).  This has both italic
and upright greek, where the alternate version is accessed with
\otheralpha, \otherbeta, etc.  The advantage is that the two styles
match one another (as well as the surrounding text, which is Adobe
Utopia).

The default is for \alpha to be italic, and \otheralpha to be upright.
 Alternatively, if you use the "upright" option
(\usepackage[upright]{fourier}), as in French mathematics style, then
greeks and uppercase romans are upright by default; in this case,
\alpha is upright, and \otheralpha is italic.

Cheers,
Ari