[math-font-discuss] upright lowercase greek letters

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at vcn.com
Thu Jul 31 17:00:05 CEST 2008

I am new to the list and apologize if this has been discussed before.  I
would like to have upright lowercase greek letters in math mode when I
use \mathrm{}.  I know that I can get them by using the Euler font by
following the suggestions here:

http://www.superstrate.net/useful/useful.html

However I would prefer that I would not have to declare each lowercase
greek letter as a new command.  It is also possible to redeclare the
"operators" math alphabet (what \mathrm uses) to be the Euler font, but
then this changes the font of roman letters as well.  I just want to
change the behavior of the lowercase greek letters.

Uppercase greek letters will respect \mathnormal and \mathrm if the
package "fixmath" is used, but this is because most math fonts have both
upright and italic uppercase greek.  The problem seems to be that
lowercase greek only comes in italic for most fonts or only upright for
Euler.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jonathan