[math-font-discuss] Ugly drawn rules in Adobe Reader

Johannes Kuester jk at typoma.com
Tue Jun 14 12:15:04 CEST 2005

Dear all (well, Taco and Karl mainly),

one problem I do see with a \mathrulechar character is a heavier
fraction bar (as it is used mainly in schoolbooks, to make clear which
is the main fraction bar of stacked fractions etc.). How could this be
handled? Vertical scaling?

Another problem: Now the rule is drawn exactly to the desired width
(of radicand, over-/underlined character, numerator / denomitar)
How could this be handled? Maybe by overlapping the mathrulechar with
itself accordingly?

Making the mathrulechar very narrow might not help here, as it might
lead to other rendering problems: the glyph needs an overlap of about 10
units (in Type 1), otherwise a bar might appear dashed.

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

 > Karl Berry wrote:
 >
 >> So in practice some \newfam would have to be defined, right?  Since
 >> obviously no existing fonts have this character.
 >
 > Right, but for e.g. the newmath encoding and Latin-Modern math, such
 > a character could be included right from the start.

Yes, of course we could include a codepoint in newmath, and I could
include it in LatinModern Math.

Another possibility to handle these bars (and some other extensibles as
well) would be "Type 1 on demand"
(where TeX calculates the necessary glyph dimensions in its first pass,
then a special font is created, and the glyphs are inserted in TeX's
second pass). I think something like this has been done for Arab math
typesetting, and I expect that it wouldn't be very difficult to
implement with LatinModern Math and MetaType1,
but quite certainly this will never be available for all math fonts.

Johannes

--
Johannes Kuester
typoma