[Fontinst] Bug in fontinstversion{1.927}

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Jan 7 15:29:45 CET 2005

Am 02.01.2005 um 22:05 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> It would be something like convert the ETX files OT1, T1 and TS1 into
> encodings and make of them a sorted list of unique PostScript glyph
> names. The same for 8r.enc. A bit of comm -- and the difference is
> almost 160 names!
>
> On the other hand ttf2pt1 allows to excerpt and encode only those
> glyphs as given in an encoding file. So I could create one PostScript
> font 8r encoded and another one 8+ encoded. Every OT1, T1, or TS1
> encoded TeX font would then use glyphs out of both PS fonts ...

On preparing the 'map' file fro ttf2pt1 I had to map myself the names
and glyph shapes as they come with {OT1,T1,TS1}.etx with that that is
contained in a Unicode map for Kermit or that Mac OS X 10.3's Character
Palette showed. Doing so I found that Unicode does not -- at least not
directly, but there are Private Use Areas -- support old style digits,
hanging letters, and all this 'expert' stuff from PS fonts as for
example small caps. And the presumingly hacks from fontinst too. So I
think these properties could be left out of an 8+ encoding:

/zerooldstyle
/oneoldstyle
/twooldstyle
/threeoldstyle
/fouroldstyle
/fiveoldstyle
/sixoldstyle
/sevenoldstyle
/eightoldstyle
/nineoldstyle

/born
/died
/divorced
/leaf
/married
/copyleft
/guarani
/hyphendbl
/hyphendblchar
/interrobangdown
/lslashslash
/perthousandzero
/pilcrow
/SS
/recipe

/capitalacute
/capitalbreve
/capitalcaron
/capitalcircumflex
/capitalcompwordmark
/capitaldieresis
/capitaldotaccent
/capitalgrave
/capitalhungarumlaut
/capitalmacron
/capitalring
/capitaltilde
/tildelow

/centoldstyle -- shape depends on the font
/dollaroldstyle -- shape depends on the font

/bardbl         > U+01C2  LATIN LETTER ALVEOLAR CLICK;LATIN LETTER PIPE
DOUBLE BAR
/blank          > U+0180  LATIN SMALL LETTER B WITH STROKE
/openbullet     > U+25CB  WHITE CIRCLE or U+25E6  WHITE BULLET
/punctdash      > U+2015  HORIZONTAL BAR ?
/asciiacutedbl  > U+02DD  DOUBLE ACUTE ACCENT or U+02F6  MODIFIER
LETTER MIDDLE DOUBLE ACUTE ACCENT

/ascendercompwordmark
/compwordmark
/threequartersemdash
/twelveudash
/newtieaccentcapital
/tieaccentcapital

For the last six glyphs there might exist similiar glyphs, I just need
some more details beyond what is given in the ETX files. Is there
really some use made of the *compwordmark glyps, having zero width and
different heights? In Unicode there are such entities too, without a
specific height ... The tie accents seem to have in fontinst different
widths, in Unicode there is a wide ARC glyph and a shorter CHARACTER
TIE.

Here is a first mapping between TeX and Unicode (I'll have again a look
on 8x), the gaps in the slot numbering come from removing the glyphs
from above:

PS Glyphname         Slot   Unicode  Name in Unicode
======
/Abreve              =00    U+0102   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER A WITH BREVE
/Aogonek             =01    U+0104   CAPITAL LETTER A WITH OGONEK
/Cacute              =02    U+0106   LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH ACUTE
/Ccaron              =03    U+010C   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER C WITH CARON
/Dcaron              =04    U+010E   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER D WITH CARON
/Ecaron              =05    U+011A   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E WITH CARON
/Eogonek             =06    U+0118   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER E WITH OGONEK
/Gamma               =07    U+0393   GREEK CAPITAL LETTER GAMMA
/Gbreve              =08    U+011E   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER G WITH BREVE
/IJ                  =09    U+0132   LATIN CAPITAL LIGATURE IJ
/Idotaccent          =0A    U+0130   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT
ABOVE
/Lacute              =0B    U+0139   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH ACUTE
/Lambda              =0C    U+039B   GREEK CAPITAL LETTER LAMDA
/Lcaron              =0D    U+013D   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH CARON
/Nacute              =0E    U+0143   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH ACUTE
/Ncaron              =0F    U+0147   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER N WITH CARON
/Ng                  =10    U+014A   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER ENG
/Ohungarumlaut       =11    U+0150   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH DOUBLE
ACUTE
/Omegainv            =12    U+2127   INVERTED OHM SIGN
/Phi                 =13    U+03A6   GREEK CAPITAL LETTER PHI
/Pi                  =14    U+03A0   GREEK CAPITAL LETTER PI
/Psi                 =15    U+03A8   GREEK CAPITAL LETTER PSI
/Racute              =16    U+0154   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R WITH ACUTE
/Rcaron              =17    U+0158   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R WITH CARON
/Sacute              =19    U+015A   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH ACUTE
/Scedilla            =1A    U+015E   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CEDILLA
/Sigma               =1B    U+03A3   GREEK CAPITAL LETTER SIGMA
/Tcaron              =1C    U+0164   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T WITH CARON
/Tcedilla            =1D    U+0162   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T WITH CEDILLA
/Theta               =1E    U+0398   GREEK CAPITAL LETTER THETA
/Uhungarumlaut       =1F    U+0170   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH DOUBLE
ACUTE
/Upsilon             =20    U+03A5   GREEK CAPITAL LETTER UPSILON
/Uring               =21    U+016E   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH RING
ABOVE
/Xi                  =22    U+039E   GREEK CAPITAL LETTER XI
/Zacute              =23    U+0179   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH ACUTE
/Zdotaccent          =24    U+017B   LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH DOT
ABOVE
/abreve              =25    U+0103   LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH BREVE
/angbracketleft      =26    U+2329   LEFT-POINTING ANGLE BRACKET
/angbracketright     =27    U+232A   RIGHT-POINTING ANGLE BRACKET
/aogonek             =28    U+0105   LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH OGONEK
/arrowdown           =29    U+2193   DOWNWARDS ARROW
/arrowleft           =2A    U+2190   LEFTWARDS ARROW
/arrowright          =2B    U+2192   RIGHTWARDS ARROW
/arrowup             =2C    U+2191   UPWARDS ARROW
/asciiacute          =2E    U+00B4   ACUTE ACCENT
/asciiacutedbl       =2F    U+02F6   MODIFIER LETTER MIDDLE DOUBLE
ACUTE ACCENT
/asciibreve          =30    U+02D8   BREVE
/asciicaron          =31    U+02C7   CARON
/asciidieresis       =32    U+00A8   DIAERESIS
/asciigrave          =33    U+0060   GRAVE ACCENT
/asciigravedbl       =34    U+02F5   MODIFIER LETTER MIDDLE DOUBLE
GRAVE ACCENT
/asciimacron         =35    U+00AF   MACRON
/asteriskcentered    =36    U+2217   ASTERISK OPERATOR
/baht                =37    U+0E3F   THAI CURRENCY SYMBOL BAHT
/bardbl              =38    U+2016   DOUBLE VERTICAL LINE; DOUBLE
VERTICAL BAR
/bigcircle           =39    U+20DD   COMBINING ENCLOSING CIRCLE
/blank               =3A    U+2420   SYMBOL FOR SPACE
/born                =3B    U+2605   BLACK STAR
/cacute              =3C    U+0107   LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH ACUTE
/ccaron              =49    U+010F   LATIN SMALL LETTER D WITH CARON
/centigrade          =4A    U+2103   DEGREE CELSIUS
/circledP            =4C    U+24C5   CIRCLED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P
/colonmonetary       =4D    U+20A1   COLON SIGN
/dbar                =50    U+0111   LATIN SMALL LETTER D WITH STROKE
/dcaron              =51    U+010F   LATIN SMALL LETTER D WITH CARON
/discount            =53    U+2052   COMMERCIAL MINUS SIGN
/dong                =56    U+20AB   DONG SIGN
/ecaron              =57    U+011B   LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH CARON
/eogonek             =59    U+0119   LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH OGONEK;
/estimated           =5A    U+212E   ESTIMATED SYMBOL
/euro                =5B    U+20AC   EURO SIGN
/gbreve              =5E    U+011F   LATIN SMALL LETTER G WITH BREVE
/hyphenchar          =60    U+2010   HYPHEN
/ij                  =63    U+0133   LATIN SMALL LIGATURE IJ
/interrobang         =64    U+203D   INTERROBANG
/lacute              =66    U+013A   LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH ACUTE
/lcaron              =67    U+013E   LATIN SMALL LETTER L WITH CARON
/lira                =69    U+20A4   LIRA SIGN
/musicalnote         =6C    U+266A   EIGHTH NOTE
/nacute              =6D    U+0144   LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH ACUTE
/naira               =6E    U+20A6   NAIRA SIGN
/ncaron              =6F    U+0148   LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH CARON
/newtieaccentcapital =71    U+2040   CHARACTER TIE
/ng                  =72    U+014B   LATIN SMALL LETTER ENG
/numero              =73    U+2116   NUMERO SIGN
/ohungarumlaut       =75    U+0151   LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DOUBLE
ACUTE
/openbracketleft     =77    U+005B   LEFT SQUARE BRACKET
/openbracketright    =78    U+005D   RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET
/openbullet          =79    U+25E6   WHITE BULLET
/pertenthousand      =7A    U+2031   PER TEN THOUSAND SIGN
/peso                =7C    U+20B1   PESO SIGN
/punctdash           =7E    U+2014   EM DASH
/quillbracketleft    =7F    U+2045   LEFT SQUARE BRACKET WITH QUILL
/quillbracketright   =80    U+2046   RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET WITH QUILL
/racute              =81    U+0155   LATIN SMALL LETTER R WITH ACUTE
/rangedash           =82    U+2013   EN DASH
/rcaron              =83    U+0159   LATIN SMALL LETTER R WITH CARON
/referencemark       =85    U+203B   REFERENCE MARK
/ringfitted          =86    U+02DA   RING ABOVE
/sacute              =87    U+015B   LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH ACUTE
/scedilla            =88    U+015F   LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CEDILLA
/servicemark         =89    U+2120   SERVICE MARK
/tcaron              =8C    U+0165   LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH CARON
/tcedilla            =8D    U+0163   LATIN SMALL LETTER T WITH CEDILLA
/tieaccentlowercase  =91    U+2312   ARC
/uhungarumlaut       =95    U+0171   LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH DOUBLE
ACUTE
/uring               =96    U+016F   LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH RING
ABOVE
/visiblespace        =97    U+2423   OPEN BOX
/won                 =98    U+20A9   WON SIGN
/zacute              =99    U+017A   LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH ACUTE
/zdotaccent          =9A    U+017C   LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH DOT ABOVE

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time flies like an error