[Fontinst] Bug in fontinstversion{1.927}

Walter Schmidt w.a.schmidt at gmx.net
Fri Jan 14 13:39:51 CET 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:11:19 +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>One thing still lets me ponder: the 8p encoding vector is longer than
>128 elements -- is a TFM file really sufficient?

???
both a PosttScript encoding vector and a TFM may have _256_ elements

> Or do the blobs and
>empty spaces in TS1 come from this limitation and a VF is needed?

without goiung through a VF, only those TS1 symbols will show  up,
that are immediately provided by the underlying "real" font AND
covered by the reencoding vector you are using

a number of further symbols can be faked or built from the
available pieces, if you go additionally through a VF, but there
will, most likely, still remain some empty slots (*)

thus, the number of _256_  glyphs may constitute a limitation,
if there are more than 256 "useful" glyphs in your base font;
in this case you will have to apply two different reencoding
vectors:  one for T1 and another one for TS1

(*)
yet, the use of TS1 makes sense -- why?  because it makes sure
that any of these symbols will always be accessible in the same
way from LaTeX, as long as it is available at all, regardless of
how it is encoded in the underlying font, or whether it is faked,
or taken from a "foreign" font

Walter