Re: Math Arrows and Harpoons

At 10:13 -0500 1998/11/13, Barbara Beeton wrote:
>... i *am* trying to establish a reasonably short
>"tex" name for any symbol not already there -- and using the names
>that are already there if i know something exists...

I think there are two wholly separate problems (for the purpose of
establishing a mathematical encoding and typesetting standard): Firstly,
classifying the symbols and give them well-classified names, and second,
give them names which are mathematically suitable in different mathematical
contexts.

  I think the font encoding problem should mainly concentrate on the first
one, especially when it comes down to symbols like arrows which have no
well established fixed general meaning.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:haberg@member.ams.org>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>