Re: MathTime version of new encodings

Thierry Bouche wrote:

> « What's missing or faked?
> «
> «  MSP: symbols from MTSY and MTMI, Script from ZapfChancery,
> «        several symbols unavailable or faked (rather badly)

> really, you can't do the script in ZapfChancery, a Commercial Script
> is required here.

Well, ZapfChancery might be a bad choice, but that's what mathptm
uses, so I thought it would be OK to do the same in the case of
MathTime without MathTime Plus.  With MathTime Complete you get
a suitable Script, and you won't have to worry about it.

> « 	- inverted Omega, reflected epsilon, reflected ampersand,
> «  	  reflected prime, digamma (all unfakable)

> you mean without PS programming? the inverted/reflected stuff is
> easily done in PS!

Are you suggesting to put PostScript hackery into the virtual fonts?
Do you have a suitable code example how to do it?

> « 	 - upright partial  (fill the slot with italic partial?)

> could unslant it in PS

Sure, but that makes things more complicated.  If the new encodings
are really widely accepted in the long term, I'd rahter expect to see
a revised version of MathTime eventually, which might then provide a
suitable glyph.  I suppose many of the missing glyphs in MC and MSP
should be relately easy to make if you have the approriate tools.

> « 	- leq/geqslant, precedes/followsorcurly (I've seen journals
> « 	  using the AMS leq/geqslant combined with MathTime)

> at least in France, we do use these, yes, i'd take them from MathPi.

If you have MathPi that's fine.  If not, you'll have to find other
solutions.  I suppose that leq/geqslant and lesssim/gtrsim might
turn out to be the most important AMS glyps to be included in MSP,
since they are the most frequently needed ones.

Cheers, Ulrik.
^_ -=- MIME -=-
Concernant =AB MathTime version of new encodings =BB, Ulrik Vieth =E9crit=
 :
=AB While Matthias has taken care of the Lucida math layout (I hope),
=AB I have recently been working on the MathTime math layout of the
=AB new encodings.  Here's a quick summary of the status:
=AB

=AB What's missing or faked?
=AB
=AB  MSP: symbols from MTSY and MTMI, Script from ZapfChancery,
=AB        several symbols unavailable or faked (rather badly)

really, you can't do the script in ZapfChancery, a Commercial Script
is required here.

 =AB   MC:  missing:
=AB 	- lgroup/rgroup and lmoustache/rmoustache (I'm unconvinced
=AB 	  if it was a good idea to include slots for them anyhow)

same as you

=AB 	- inverted Omega, reflected epsilon, reflected ampersand,
=AB  	  reflected prime, digamma (all unfakable)

you mean without PS programming? the inverted/reflected stuff is
easily done in PS!

=AB
=AB 	 - upright partial  (fill the slot with italic partial?)
=AB

could unslant it in PS

=AB 	- leq/geqslant, precedes/followsorcurly (I've seen journals
=AB 	  using the AMS leq/geqslant combined with MathTime)

at least in France, we do use these, yes, i'd take them from MathPi.

hope this h
   Thierry Bouche.       -----       thierry.bouche@ujf-grenoble.fr
          http://www-fourier.ujf-grenoble.fr/~bouche/

P.S. I wounder if it would be allowable to distribute PK versions of
the MathTime font tables.  This would prevent the distribution of the
PS fonts, while still giving some impression of what it looks like.