Re: patch for bigdoc.tex, fontchart.sty

At 01:40 PM 97/11/27 +0100, Ulrik Vieth wrote:

>P.S.  There was a Mathematica 3.0 presentation at our university
>today.  It appears that none of their sales representatives have
>a clue as to the status of their font licensing.

No suprise :-)   I'd be amazed if they even know what a font is.

>They advised
>me to get in touch with them by e-mail about specific questions.

I have checked informally on this and it appears that they definitely
want to retain copyright on those fonts and not have them copied
and distributed or derivative works made form them.
The person I was in touch with said they would be
revising their web page to more accurately reflect this.
On the other hand, the person in charge of the web site belongs to the
free software foundation and was suprised there was any sort of issue.

Apparently they mostly put them up on the web only because
of technical support problem with Unix users as a result
of the lack of font support.

By the way, keep in mind that these are not `final'  versions (although
this particularly  poor version has now been `not final' for a year or two,
so who knows,  they may be `de facto final').  These are dramatically
worse than the previous `beta' release. For example, the math extension
fonts crash my QMS PS 815 MR printer.  And of course all the good
hinting has been lost in passage through some font munging tool or other.

Regards, Berthold.

Y&Y, Inc., Tuttle's Livery, 45 Walden Street, Concord, MA 01742 USA
(800) 742-4059 (North America), (978) 371-3286 Fax: (978) 371-2004
Sales:  mailto:sales@YandY.com  Support:  mailto:support@YandY.com
World Wide Web:  http://www.YandY.com