Re: Remaining missing glphs

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Ulrik Vieth wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> after playing with the latest release, I had at what symbols are
> actually still missing in the MC font tables and would like to
> raise a couple of questions.
>
> 1. There's a slot for an Arabic letter `Dal'.  Does this bear any
>    relation to the Hebrew letter `Daleth', which we already have?
>    If so, could we perhaps get rid it and gain another free slot?

I can't comment on that, I have never seen a letter Dal in use. I just
picked it up blindly from Justins paper.

> 2. There are two slots for `Chi1' and `Chi1upright'.  According
>    to the Unicode table there is no such thing as a variant of
>    Greek capital letter Chi (quote unlike in the case of Upsilon),
>    so I wonder if this got into Justin's list by mistake?

Same comment.

> 3. There are two slots for faked `Vbar' and `Vbarslanted' glyphs.
>    Accoding to Justin's report, these were mentioned in a message
>    forwared by Joerg which I couldn't find in the mail archives.
>    Could someone clarify what these are supposed to be good for
>    and whether both variants are actually needed?  Personally,
>    I've never seen such a notation in physics, so I'd like to
>    see a reference justifying their use.

Yes, I wanted to raise the same question. I *have* seen them being
mentioned once in the mail archives, but I don't remember by whom.

> 4. There are two slots for \varbeta (`beta1' and `beta1upright').
>    This one, I could find in the Unicode tables (U+03D0) listed
>    as `Greek Symbol Beta', so it is probably justified to leave
>    that one in, even if it is not currently available in Metafont.
>    (Yannis's OmegaTimesGreek (TUGboat 17#2) also has this one.)

I have not seen this one either, so I don't know how it is supposed
to look like, but I have picked up the following information in a posting
to comp.text.tex some time ago:

:I would like to write a short citation of a greek word, without
:using a babel package. The TeX Book advises to use math mode.
:
:Actually, that's fine, except for the beta, when it's used inside
:a word ($\beta$ is only correct for initial letters).
:The correct beta (a \varbeta ?) should look like a mirrored $\partial$

Since we're counting slots here, let me mention another idea of mine
which would buy us 1 slot per encoding:
Since we have decided to have a space in slot 32 in every encoding,is it really necessary to reserve slot 0 as skewchar ? Is there any
reason against using slot 32 as the skewchar ? No glyph will ever have to
be kerned against the space, or am I wrong here ? And the dumb drivers
which rely on the space in slot 32 (are there any ?) will never see the
kerning, if they ever see a space glyph at all.

Regards, Matthias

--
Matthias Clasen
Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg