What are the chances of ...

Hi math font enthusiasts,

after seeing yet another release of Matthias Clasen's latest partial
implementation as of yesterday, I was wondering if it might be time
to raise the following questions:

    What are the chances of a math fonts session at EuroTeX'98
    (March 29--31, 1998 in St.Malo, France) ?

I guess that you may have seen the announcement and call for papers
that was circulated on various places a few weeks ago, which quoted
October 15 as the deadline for abstract submission.  This means that
if we want to schedule a math fonts presentation and/or panel session,
we'll have to decide about it pretty soon within the next few weeks.

Of course, there a number of questions to be addressed, such as:

 -  How many of us are actually planning or at least considering
    to attend the conference and who would the participants?

 -  Who, if anyone, would be willing to give a presentation and/or
    participate in the panel session?

 -  Who, if anyone, would be willing to write up a paper for the
    processdings?

and most importantly:

 -  How much work could realistically be done until the date of
    conference or the deadline for the final paper (February, 1)?

I suppose it should be obvious that deciding to go for a public
presentation of the current work will raise a lot of expectations.
Most importantly, the audience will probably expect to see some
near-final, tidied-up and agreed upon font tables, even if some
of the implementation details may still be in works at that time.

Furthermore, going for a presentation combined with enough time
for a panel discussion also means that we would have to be prepared
that numerous issues and assumptions may be questioned and opened
up again, leading to perhaps numerous suggestions to be considered
for a revised encoding to be worked out after the conference.

What do YOU think about it?  Are we ready for this step?
In any case, the time to take a decision is nearing.

Cheers, Ulrik.