Re: new double sized operators:

>Perhaps the shape of \oblong is fixed, but I think Dijkstra choice "looks
>remarkably like [ and ] glued together" simply because there was no other
>way of making one on a typewriter; I personally wouldn't object to having
>just the \oblong.

I think you're probably right about the origins of the shape of
<dijkstrachoice>, but the fact remains that the shape that is used in
most journal articles and books is as tall as a delimiter, and is very
narrow (about 3:1 aspect ratio I'd guess).  It is a very different
looking glyph from <oblong>, and it is quite commonly used.

Alan.