Re: \S

>It seems to me there is an interesting question about the use of such
>an extra font.

Ah, I'd hoped to get away without discussing the companion text font
until I'd got the arrow-building kit out of the way.  Foiled again!
:-)

Each text font is envisaged as having a `companion' font, which would
contain the glyphs that are missing from the T1 (Cork) encoding, such
would then be something like:

  \def\yen{\companiontextfont{\char"XX}}

It would then be up to each font selection scheme to implement
\companiontextfont in an appropriate fashion, for example with NFSS2
it would be something like:

   \def\companiontextfont#1{{\fontencoding{X1}\selectfont#1}}

It's open to discussion what the plain TeX version should be.  One
possibility would be to add to the definition of \bf and friends, for
example:

   \font\dctenbf=dcbx10
   \font\cptenbf=cpbx10 % or whatever the bold companion font is called
   \def\bfcompaniontextfont#1{{\cptenbf#1}}
   \def\bf{\fam\bffam \let\companiontextfont=\bfcompaniontextfont
      \dctenbf}

This would avoid the use of \mathhexbox for accessing companion text
glyphs, and would leave math mode for just math glyphs!

Alan.