the TeX world
Typography & typesetting, fonts & design, publishing and more
TUG 2023: July 14-16, 2023 (Friday-Sunday)
The 44th Annual Meeting of the TeX Users Group
Thursday, July 13, 2023, 2pm-6pm: Tagging PDF documents
A developers' workshop organized by the
LaTeX team (limited seats).
Hotel Collegium Leoninum
53111 Bonn, Germany
phone: +49 228 6298 0
Registration and information
Dates and deadlines
- April 1, 2023 - deadline for hotel reservations at our group
The conference hotel is now sold out, except for a few individual
nights. If you would like help in finding alternative lodging, feel
free to email the conference committee.
- April 10 - deadline for abstracts for presentation
The conference schedule is full, so no more talks can be accepted;
please consider submitting articles for the regular
- April 10 - bursary
application (financial assistance) deadline (passed).
- April 15 - deadline for early bird
registration discount. Early registrations
are greatly appreciated!
- June 15 - deadline for preprints (submit PDF) to be in the printed program.
- July 13, 14:00-18:00 - developers' workshop:
Tagging PDF Documents, organized by the LaTeX team. (Space is limited.)
- July 13, 15:00-18:00 - excursion: guided walking tour of downtown Bonn.
- July 13, 19:00-20:00 - opening reception, Hotel Leoninum terrace.
- July 14-16 - TUG conference,
Friday–Sunday. TUG's Annual General Meeting will take
place Friday after the regular talks.
- July 15, 18:45 - gather in Leoninum lobby for travel to banquet.
- July 16, 13:30 - excursion: gather (promptly!) in Leoninum lobby for
boat trip to the Seven Hills.
- July 17, 09:30-12:30 - excursion: guided walking tour of downtown Bonn.
- July 23 - deadline for final papers for the printed
The conference will be held at the Hotel Collegium Leoninum in
downtown Bonn, Germany.
- Frankfurt Airport (FRA): high speed train to Siegburg/Bonn (less
than 40 minutes). See below for directions to hotel.
- Cologne Airport (CGN): direct bus to the Bonn Hauptbahnhof (about
45 minutes, but not so frequent) or train to Bonn-Beuel (about 30
- Düsseldorf (DUS): about an hour to either the Bonn Hbf or
Bonn-Beuel. A changeover in Cologne might be necessary.
Train station to hotel:
- From the Bonn Hauptbahnhof (Central Station) it is a ten-minute
walk to the hotel.
- By tramway, the stop “Stadthaus” is about 200 meters
from the hotel.
- From Siegburg/Bonn, tram line 66, about 25 minutes. Regardless of
marked destination on the tram, it will stop at “Stadthaus”.
- From Bonn-Beuel, tram line 62, about 10 minutes.
Late-breaking information: for those who will arrive at the hotel via
public transport from either Siegburg/Bonn Station (Line 66) or
Bonn-Beuel Station (Line 62): Unfortunately there will be track work
during the conference days around our stop, “Stadthaus”. So
the trams will end one stop early, at
“Bertha-von-Suttner-Platz”. From there, a replacement bus
will take you to “Stadthaus” (the next stop).
The conference will be streamed live on the TUG YouTube Channel, at
no charge. (Donations are greatly appreciated!)
The channel will be monitored for questions or comments to relay to the
speakers or others.
- Rooms are reserved for TUG conference participants at the Leoninum.
Our conference code is simply “TUG annual conference”. To
make a reservation, either
- A block of rooms has been reserved; rooms are guaranteed only until
April 1. Availability and rates after that are not
guaranteed. As always, the sooner you book your reservation the better.
- The conference rate is 119 EUR per night for 3 or more nights, for
one person. With two people staying in the same room, the rate is
139 EUR for 3+ nights. For 1-2 nights, add 10 EUR to the rates.
- Be aware that the city of Bonn charges a tax of 5% of the gross room
rate, with an exception for business accommodations.
- The conference rate is available for any reasonable stay before and
after the conference—as long as you book by April 1.
- Free cancellation is available if done 21 days or earlier before
the arrival date. We can't guarantee the hotel policy if cancellation
happens later than that.
- If you wish to stay at a different hotel, feel free to contact our
local host, Gert Fischer, at the conference address (email@example.com).
He will be happy to discuss other nearby accommodations.
- The opening reception will be on the Hotel
Leoninum terrace, Thursday July 13, 7-8pm.
- Breakfast at the hotel is included with the room reservation.
- Lunches and breaks will be provided during the conference, July
14-16, at no additional charge.
- Dinners are not included with the conference registration or hotel
reservation, but are available at the hotel and restaurants nearby.
- We'll have a banquet (optional extra) on Saturday
evening at the Konrads restaurant in the Bonn Marriott hotel, Platz der Vereinten
Nationen 4, 53113 Bonn. Please check the box on the
registration page to join. More info about the banquet:
- Gather in the Leoninum lobby at 18:45.
- Five minute walk to tram stop; tram departure at 19:00.
- There are trams every ten minutes, so no problem for those who wish
to arrive later.
- Fifteen minute tram ride and another five minute walk to the
- After arrival, there will be some time to relax on the terrace and
enjoy the view and/or an apéritif.
- We expect the meal (three courses) to start around 20:00, and last
around two hours.
- No fixed time for departure; the trams will still be running often.
- Walking back from the banquet hotel to the Leoninum, along the
river, would take around 50 minutes, for those so inclined. Gert will
serve as guide.
- Thursday, July 13, 15:00-18:00: for those
arriving early and not going to the PDF workshop, our local host, Gert
Fischer, will give a guided walking tour of downtown Bonn.
- Sunday, July 16, 13:30: an excursion by boat to Königswinter, then taking the cog railway up to the Drachenfels, tram back. Further info:
- There is a small fee to cover costs. Please
check the box on the conference registration
form to participate.
- We must not miss the tram to Seven Hills leaving at 13:47;
there are no good alternatives. So please be prompt gathering in the
Leoninum lobby at 13:30.
- Returning from Königswinter, the boat departs at 17:20 and
should arrive back in Bonn at 18:00. From there it's a 15 minute walk to
the hotel, straight through the pedestrian zone (lots of restaurants
along the way), so taking public transport doesn't make much sense.
- Monday, July 17, 09:30-12:30: for those staying a day
after, Gert will again give the walking tour of downtown Bonn.
If you wish to combine the conference with a longer stay in the
Rhineland area or further afield in Germany, please feel free to contact
Gert at the conference address (firstname.lastname@example.org). He will be happy to help.
the TeX Users Group,
STM Document Engineering Pvt Ltd,
and many individual donors.
Thanks to all.
New sponsors are greatly
appreciated, as is mentioning the conference to colleagues and in any
- Email: email@example.com.
- Phone, fax, postal mail: see TUG
office contact information.
- Conference committee:
Barbara Beeton, Karl Berry, Gert Fischer,
Ulrike Fischer, Robin Laakso, Uwe Ziegenhagen.
$Date: 2023/06/06 22:38:56 $;
previous TUG meeting -
all TeX meetings