[Xy-pic] How to resolve "Command \l already defined ..."

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Apr 11 13:44:29 CEST 2018

Hello Kiravu,

On Apr 10, 2018, at 5:53 PM, KIRAVU, C. (MR.) <cheddi.kiravu at mopipi.ub.bw<mailto:cheddi.kiravu at mopipi.ub.bw>> wrote:

My system has installed:

\usepackage[all]{xy}
\usepackage{tikz-cd}

My LaTeX program includes code statements of the type,

\begin{equation}
\xymatrix {A \ar[r]^f & B \ar[r]^{{\Phi} & H }
\end{equation}

On compiling the LaTeX program the error message on console is:

(/usr/local/texlive/2013/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pgf/frontendlayer/tikz/libraries/tikzlibrarymatrix.code.tex)) (./Definitions.tex

./Definitions.tex:32: LaTeX Error: Command \l already defined
         Or name \end… illegal, see p.192 of manual.

Yes.
 \l  is pre-defined for the Polish letter  l-slash  .
You must *not* redefinine it in your   Definitions.tex  file.

Type H<return> for immediate help.
L l.32 \newcommand{\l}{\v(1)}
?

Alternatively, use  \renewcommand{\l}{\v(1)}

But surely this should be   \v{1}
unless you have also redefined  \v  from its default use as an accent-macro.

Observation: Upon pressing <return> following the above prompt, the program runs to the end and renders the graph correctly.  However I must do this every time I compile my (long) program.  This intermediate manual intervention is annoying and I would like to automate the compilation.

Question: What could I possibly do or go  to remove the conflicting definition?

The message is there to stop you from simply redefining macros that already have other uses.
Please respect this, and don’t just choose macro-definitions based entirely upon what you would
like to use. (La)TeX is a shared system.
Respect that other people’s needs can be greater than your own.

BTW, what has any of this got to do with Xy-pic ?

Hope this helps.

Dr Ross Moore

Mathematics Dept | 12 Wally’s Walk, 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114<tel:%2B61%202%209850%209695>
M:+61 407 288 255<tel:%2B61%20409%20125%20670>  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:rick.minter at mq.edu.au>

http://www.maths.mq.edu.au<http://mq.edu.au/>

[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]<http://mq.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
Please consider the environment before printing this email.<http://mq.edu.au/>

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University.<http://mq.edu.au/>