[XeTeX] engine or unicode-math bug? Problems with math font switches in subscripts

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Jul 10 08:50:09 CEST 2013

Am Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:04:43 +0200 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:

> Miktex users which updated to the newest xetex engine (version
> 3.1415926-2.4-0.9998 (MiKTeX 2.9)) report problems with subscripts
> in math.
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/121769/miktex-amsfont-problem-scriptfont-is-undefined
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/121276/updating-miktex-again-errors
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{unicode-math}
>
> \begin{document}
> $a_{b1}$
> \end{document}
>
> gives the error
>
> ! \textfont 197 is undefined (character .5).
> l.6 $a_{b1}$
>
> If one continues the output looks ok.
>

> The same document compiled with TL13 gives no error but there is a
> suspicious missing character message in the log which imho could be
> related:
>
> Missing character: There is no Dž in font
> [latinmodern-math.otf]/ICU:script=math
> ;language=DFLT;!

A follow-up: In the mean time I found a work-around: If one reloads
the math font with an range option the error/missing char
disappears. This is due to some code in the range key which changes
the setting of mathcodes. I don't know yet what going on in detail
or if this work-around has some bade side effect and if it works in
all cases.

See also

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/122923/missing-chars-with-unicode-math-xelatex-texlive-2013

--