[XeTeX] [off-topic] xetex crash in Ubuntu 10.04

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sat May 8 12:46:05 CEST 2010

On 05/08/2010 11:47 AM, Vafa Khalighi wrote:

>     due to the version of geometry included in TeXLive 2009, the
>     following code crashes xetex when compiling it with Ubuntu 10.04:
>
>     \documentclass{article}
>     \usepackage[a4paper,truedimen,mag=1500]{geometry}
>     \begin{document}
>     Hi
>     \end{document}
>

> Hi. This does not crash on my machine (Ubuntu 10.4 and TeXLive 2009
> installed directly (not from Ubuntu repository)).

Thanks for your reply, Vafa.

Have you updated TeXLive 2009 or all files are the original versions? (I
mean, which is your geometry version?)

>     This bug should be included also in all Ubuntu versions that provide
>     TeXLive 2009. I have already reported the bug almost a week ago
>     (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/texlive-base/+bug/573951), but
>     I had no reply. I'm new to Ubuntu, but not to GNU/Linux. The fix, as
>     described in my report, is simple: update the geometry version. I
>     wonder why it takes so long.
>
> Yes. Ubuntu has unfortunately put the experimental version of TeXLive
> 2009 in their repository and there are heaps of issues. One main thing
> is that restricted write18 is enabled and that is dangerous, and the
> second main issue is that it is not yet complete.

I had the same issue using the packaged TL 2009 for openSUSE 11.x, so I
would rather think that these concrete bug might not be related to the
experimental version, but I might be wrong.

> I recommend installing TeXlive directly.

I would rather avoid that, because I think that packaging systems are
extremely useful and comfortable to the user.

But maybe I have to make an exception with TeXLive.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo