[XeTeX] XeTeX/MiKTeXbug: \graphicspath does not work as intended

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun Dec 27 21:26:20 CET 2009

Hi Peter, Jonathan, and others,

On 27/12/2009, at 8:51 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 27.12.2009 um 10:13 schrieb Jonathan Kew:
>
>> (I'm not sure it was really a good idea to support (...) for
>> quoting, but it's been that way for quite a long time now; this
>> was originally requested by the ConTeXt people, who wanted an
>> alternative to '....' or "....", though I don't recall the exact
>> reasons offhand.)

Were they wanting extra quotes in subparts of names,
or just of the whole file-name -- which surely would be enough?

> Could it work to enable this behaviour only then when XeTeX is in
> ConTeXt mode? ConTeXt is a bit different, and possibly most XeTeX
> users come from pdfTeX and would like to see pdfTeX manners here...

But there is another problem when there are parentheses in names,
since '(' has a special meaning within Unix shell commands.
So if part of the LaTeX processing includes a \write18 shell-escape
command  (e.g. to convert an .eps file to pdf) then there needs
to be an extra level of scanning/parsing of the filename to protect
these (and other) non-alphanumeric characters. Such programming
in raw TeX can be rather tricky so typically is not done.

In general it is a very bad idea to use non-alphanumeric characters
in filenames, when using TeX and friends, even when it may appear
to work with some of the individual applications.

> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

Happy New Year (almost),