[XeTeX] An (almost) complete cyrunicode.tex

Tobias Schlemmer keinstein_junior at gmx.net
Tue Jul 3 10:32:08 CEST 2007

Apostolos Syropoulos schrieb:
> I do not think so. The people who call themselves "Macedonians"
> are slavic people and it is well documented that slavic people
> come to this part of the world after the 8th century. Even if the
> ancient Macedonians were not Greeks, which is definitely not the
> case, it is more than unlikely that they spoke a slavic language.
> So to say that "Macedonian" is a slavic language is at least
> misleading and certainly not professional.

Sorry, but you are doing a common logical Mistake: If you say that
Macedonian is a Slavic language, you don't say that there can't exist a
Greek Macedonian. The original posting didn't tell us anything about it.
Especially it didn't say anything about it's existence or absence.

>> I don't like your comment; such comments shouldn't be very welcome
>> here. If you have professional arguments (linguistic, Aritotelian,
>> etc.) that's ok, but this is a technical list.
>
> Naturally I did not like yours and that is why I reacted. Since this
> is a technical list, we have to be accurate. And it is totally inaccurate
> to call this language Macedonian. As it is inaccurate to say that the
> capital of the Byzantine Empire was Istanbul: the name of the city at
> that time was  Constaninople, and this was the second name of the city,
> which was originally called Byzantium.  Your "Macedonians" could have
> invented a new name just like the Turks did. Do you see my point?

What's the problem with it. I'm not familiar with the whole story, but
aren't we talking about a millennium? If I follow your logic, the
England must drop its name because it comes from the angels, who lived
in northern Germany/southern Denmark. The Name „France“ has its roots in
Germany, too. Only Indians are Americans all white and black people in
America aren't realy Americans, because they came less than 1000 years
ago to America and so on. In fact, I believe no name could really
persist your logic.

Yes Slavic Macedonians could invent a new name. But they didn't. And I'm
sure they didn't invent any name. Normally such names grow up in a
process. And I'm sure, in this process Greeks were involved too. If you
don't agree with that name, you are free to invent a name in your
language. But the English name has its roots in history, so you can't
change it as fast as you want to.

>> Unfortunately, there is a lot of unresolved problems in this (our) part
>> of the world (including a number of quasi-linguistic questions). As
>> always, professionalism, avoiding fake arguments and scholarly culture
>> are the best way to override them.
>
> This is not an unresolved issue. It is an artificial problem created by
> certain people for their own reason. And of course, this has nothing

People as you and me.

> to do with nationalism, as another poster hinted. Every nation has
> its national heroes and Alexander the Great is such a person for
> Greeks. He is everywhere, from fairy-tales, legends, popular songs, etc.
> And we
> to steal part of
> our cultural and national identity and heritage.

That has nothing to do with steeling of identity or heritage. I agree
with you that we need for some reasons a distinction between the two
names „Macendonian“, but the attributes „Slavic“ and „Greek“ serve this
purpose very well. (Maybe they aren't very kind to the feelings of both
peoples, but they are correct and I don't know any better.)

Please don't forget: If you want to revert something that's older than
one human generation, that means to break the rights of the individual
humans in the new generation.

Tobias.