[XeTeX] xmaths update

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Mar 3 05:56:17 CET 2006

Hi Will,

On 22/02/2006, at 7:05 PM, Will Robertson wrote:

> Hello,
>
> With the help of Barbara Beeton's STIX table of unicode maths
> glyphs with associated TeX names, descriptions, and other stuff,
> I've managed to get much further with xmaths that I originally
> anticipated. (There are still missing portions, however.)
>
> If you'd like to see a huge table of typeset maths glyphs, or
> access those characters yourself in a unicode font, you can grab
> the current state of the package at
>  <http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/~will/tex/xmaths.zip>

This is great stuff.
I'm using your listings to provide translations to Unicode for
Bookmark strings
for titles, section-titles and captions in Mathematics journal articles.
This includes super/sub-scripts wherever possible.

I posted some images to the  pdftex  list, showing this happening.

Heiko is interested to include this in  hyperref.sty .
Currently it is restricted to Plane-0, since PDF reader
software will probably be unaware of the Code 2001 font.
Who knows, in future that may change.

Anyway, there seem to be some holes in your tables, that I've
seen so far:

   003D1   \vartheta

This encoding file, that comes with  hyperref :

     kpsewhich puenc.def

defines macros   \textAlpha \textBeta, etc.
for all the upper-case Greek letters,
These come in the range   00391 --> 003A7 ,
and  \textomicron  for  003BF .

That enc-file also supports some accented capitals just
outside this range, and also lower-case accented greeks.
Maybe xmaths could include these also?
Or maybe these are best done by  xunicode.sty ???

Why do you only cover a few letters in the  small-caps range ?

> Things should get more interesting when the STIX fonts are
> released. (Any time soon :) )

Yes. Then it requires people like us to actually use them
in documents that we create, thereby showing others what
can be done.

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au