[XeTeX] Problem making .fmt

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Mar 2 14:57:19 CET 2006

On 2 Mar 2006, at 1:00 pm, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I went through the usual steps to make a XeTeX .fmt file but I get
> ths error in TeXShop:
>
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99b (Web2C 7.5.3)
> ---! XGenealogue.fmt doesn't match xetex.pool
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> I think the right .pool file is being looked at:
>
> GenealogueFiles% kpsewhich xetex.pool
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/xetex.pool
>

> What am I missing?

I'd say that you have an old copy of the .fmt somewhere, perhaps in a
"current directory" where you're trying to run the job, or in a
personal texmf tree in ~/Library (a left-over from the "personal
configurations" mess last year.

If xetex wasn't finding the right version of the .pool, then the
format creation would have failed (did it run without errors?); if
xetex created the new .fmt correctly but then you get this error
trying to use it, then the .fmt that it's reading was created by an
older version; it's not the new one you just made.

What were your "usual steps", anyway? Did you add details for your
format to fmtutil.cnf, and use fmtutil-sys to create it, or did you
run xetex -ini by hand? If the latter, where did you then put the
format file? Does "kpsewhich -progname=xetex XGenealogue.fmt" find
your newly-created copy?

If necessary, run with -kpathsea-debug=-1 to watch all the file-
finding stuff and see where it's really looking. But I'm fairly sure
you have an old .fmt lying around.

Jonathan