[XeTeX] Problem making .fmt

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Mar 2 14:44:39 CET 2006

On Mar 2, 2006, at 7:00 AM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I went through the usual steps to make a XeTeX .fmt file but I get
> ths error in TeXShop:
>
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.99b (Web2C 7.5.3)
> ---! XGenealogue.fmt doesn't match xetex.pool
> (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
>
> I think the right .pool file is being looked at:
>
> GenealogueFiles% kpsewhich xetex.pool
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/xetex.pool
>

> What am I missing?
>
> Perplexed.
>
> SGM

Howdy,

What command are you using to create the .fmt file. I make a xetex
format, xtmm.fmt, here using a tiny script (so I don't have to
remember the incantation):

#!/bin/bash
xetex -ini -progname=xetex "*xtmm.ini"

I don't know if the `-progname=xetex' is needed but it all works.
I've them built a TeXShop engine I call xetmm.engine with the contents

#!/bin/bash
xetex -shell-escape -fmt=xtmm -progname=xetex "$1"

(to make sure the engine file has the execute bit set I usually start
by copying one of the existant ones and rename and change its contents)

Finally I add the lines

%!TEX TS-program = xetmm
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

to the top of my .tex file.