[XeTeX] Re: [MacTeX] XeTeX

Bruno Voisin Bruno.Voisin at hmg.inpg.fr
Sun Apr 11 17:33:22 CEST 2004

Hi Ross,

>>> mv /tmp/xetex-install/bin/*   ${bindir}
>>> mv /tmp/xetex-install/web2c/* ${web2cdir}
>>> mv /tmp/xetex-install/otf/*   ${otfdir}
>
> The values ${bindir}, ${web2cdir}, ${otfdir}  are (supposed to be) set
> within the preflight script, to be within the  texmf.local  tree. Thus
> they should survive updates.
I think the first value is rather set to
/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8:
>> - binaries are installed inside
>> /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8:
>>
>> -rwxr-xr-x  1 brunovoi  staff   515460  7 Apr 16:51 xdv2pdf
>> lrwxr-xr-x  1 brunovoi  staff        5  9 Apr 23:13 xeinitex -> xetex
>> -rwxr-xr-x  1 brunovoi  staff  1060392  7 Apr 16:51 xetex
>> lrwxr-xr-x  1 brunovoi  staff        5  9 Apr 23:13 xevirtex -> xetex

  Isn't this directory affected by updates?

> Compiling a LaTeX format is easy enough:
>  [...]
> Next, create a command  xelatex  similar to  pdflatex ;
> viz.
>
> [glenlivet:] rossmoor% more `which pdflatex`
> #!/bin/sh
> test -f "`kpsewhich pdflatex.fmt`" || fmtutil --byfmt pdflatex
> exec pdftex -fmt=pdflatex -progname=pdflatex "$@"
>
> [glenlivet:~/Sources/XeTeX/XeTeX samples] rossmoor% more `which
> xelatex` #!/bin/sh
> test -f "`kpsewhich -format=fmt -progname=xetex xelatex.xfmt`" ||
> fmtutil --byfmt xelatex exec xetex -xfmt=xelatex -progname=xelatex "$@"
That's where I get completely lost! I remember maybe two years ago
somebody posting on the OS X TeX list similar instructions, sent to the
poster by Gerben, for compiling custom formats. I gave up then, as I
couldn't understand the instructions, and I must admit I'm none the
wiser
now. Being able to compile custom formats and have them used by TeXShop
is
something I miss from Textures.
How to create this command, and where? I have never used "which", or
known
about it. Using man, I have the impression "which" uses information on
the
user's path to find out what would be executed had (in your example)
"pdflatex" been given as a command.
But:

- In my case pdflatex is simply an alias to pdfetex, not a shell script
as
it seems to be in your example:
Portable-de-Bruno:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8
brunovoisin$ ls -l  total 100504 [...]-rwxr-xr-x  1 root      admin
3599440  7 Feb 11:26 pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root      admin        7 28 Mar 17:03 pdfjadetex ->
pdfetex
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root      admin        7 28 Mar 17:03 pdflatex -> pdfetex
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root      admin        6 28 Mar 17:00 pdfmex -> pdftex
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root      admin        6 28 Mar 17:00 pdfplatex -> pdftex
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root      admin  3497540  7 Feb 11:25 pdftex
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root      admin        6 28 Mar 17:00 pdftexinfo -> pdftex
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root      admin     1014 18 Feb  2003 pdfthumb
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root      admin        7 28 Mar 17:00 pdfxmltex -> pdfetex

- Trying "more `which pdflatex`" as in your example just returns
incomprehensible gibberish in Terminal, and sets the window to reverse
video. It launches some process that isn't closed, every time I press a
key more gibberish is added, and I have to Ctrl-C to terminate.
- According to the man page, "which" takes its info from .cshrc. But I
don't have any such file, possibly because I use bash not csh. I have a
.login and a .profile, is this equivalent for bash? My .profile reads:
Portable-de-Bruno:~ brunovoisin$ more .profile

##
# DELUXE-USR-LOCAL-BIN-INSERT
# (do not remove this comment)
##
echo $PATH | grep -q -s "/usr/local/bin"
if [ $? -eq 1 ] ; then
     PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
     export PATH
fi
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/bin

The first lines were added by the StuffIt Deluxe install, I think, and
the
last line is for DarwinPorts (I forgot to delete it after uninstalling
DarwinPorts). .login is exactly the same, without the DarwinPorts line.
Bruno